Wednesday 17 August 2011

Tot School: E is for Egg

‘Un’schooling Tiger Week 5 (9- 20th August) @ 14 months

Alphabet: E
Theme: Food


Reading
These pictures are for those who think that I am torturing my Little Tiger by teaching him early.


Doing Brillkid's Little Chinese. Pointing to his nose

Enjoying Little Reader (English)

Nursery Rhyme
Humpty Dumpty

Art & craft
Check out the concentration :)
Using these:

Sticking foam on to letter 'e'


Worksheets

Using magnets on Do A Dot print out
from Jolanthe's Homeschool creations



Using stickers on the same print out

Is this too cute or what? Using crayons on worksheets from 1+1+1


Flashcards
Colour, synonyms
Repetition of Tweedlewink (TW) cards

Math:
Skip counting by 3 using finger puppets  of Tiger's choice from Ikea. Always give choices, it keeps things fresh.


 Tot trays:
1. Scooping eggs
 



2.       Inserting rods into wooden numbered plates
 

3.       Silicone shapes for matching

4.       Set the table: Placemat
5.       Felt vegetable for matching with flashcards (or chewing in this case)
 6.       Colourful numbers rod: ignored
 7.       Mini knobbed cylinder: still ignored from dino week!
Books:
  •  Theme (food) related:
  • Food book,
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • The Carrot Seed
  • If You Give The Mouse A Cookie
  • Lift the flap Egg book
  • Feed me: Super cute book (Also a hit with tiger)

The Carrot Seed: Favourite book of the Week.

Educational toys in rotation


This is all he does with poor dress up bear. Pretend it's a shoe and drag it around







.      
  



  • Dress up bear (to replace dressing frames. How smart!!)
  • ABC pegged puzzle
  • Soft block
  • Wooden Imaginarium blocks
  • Tolo pound-the-shape
  • Mini  art easel
7. Cutting fruit with wooden 'knife' wearing his 'chef' bib that says rice in chinese :)


World
Country of the week: Poland
Locating Poland on the map.
Polish E-flashcard from Brillkid.

Science:
Food pyramid. Tiger shredded the pyramid before I could take a picture.
Sound waves (TW)

Music

Note: A
Playing with note A music bell.
Right Brain Home Practice:
Tiger refused to do ESP or memory work this week :) That's ok cause we had a great weekend!!

We are linking up with Tot School:

Feel free to leave a comment (no haters, please) or any questions regarding my tools or toys. I usually remember the store and price. I have a problem, I know.

18 comments:

Deb Chitwood said...

Great activities - it looks like Little Tiger is having a wonderful time! I love the scooping eggs activity! We'd love to have you join us in linking up with Montessori Monday with any Montessori-inspired activities. Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

Jessica said...

Thanks Deb,

Will do. Can't wait for your Montessori Monday post :)

Ella said...

He is soooooooo cute :))
I really enjoy reading your blog Jessica.
Just wonder where do you buy beginning Crayola?!
I have one ( my SIL brought for LO from Australia) , but couldn't find here in toys r us or any other shop!

Jessica_littletiger said...

HI Ella,

I got mine from a gift shop called Tango Mango in The Curve. You can get the stamper version from here at a slightly cheaper rate. http://www.mybbstore.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=2234

Maha said...

Hi Jessica,

From India. Wonderful blog I enjoyed it. Hats off to you.
Hope every parent creates a wonderful learning opportunity for their children.

Great

Maha

Jessica said...

Hi Maha,

Thank you very much.

I was inspired by my little one and I hope to spread the joy of learning to others.

Your encouragement means a lot.

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

Read your blog is meaning a lot for me. Thanks for the inspiration.
Just wonder where do you buy that egg and vegetables toys. I really want to start my tot weeks with "e" letter.

Thanks a lot!
TRIA

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Tria,

Thank you for the comment :)

The eggs are great for matching shapes/colours. I bought them from a concession stall but you can get it online from here: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=247158241963461&set=a.247157475296871.73073.245796062099679&type=3&theater

I bought the cutting fruit plastic set is from Jusco. It is widely available nowadays. The felt set that Tiger's chewing is from IKEA.

Have lots of fun playing Tot SChool, ya?

curiositykills said...

hi jessica,

where did u get the ABC pegged puzzle?
thanks

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi, I got it from a kindergarten teacher who has since stopped teaching. I haven't seen them any where else. If I do, I will post another comment under this post :) if you are handy, you can purchase the non pegged ones and DIY. I have seen some crafty mamas do that

curiositykills said...

i see. is yours lower case alphabets?
i found one http://www.babycity.co.nz/baby-first-wooden-abc-puzzle.html
:) from NZ

yeah, I've seen many non pegged ones. i prefer the pegged ones though ;)

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi,

I dropped by your blog earlier and I think we are from the same field. Rather, we were in the same work setting. I have quit the hospital life and currently committed to motherhood, partially :) Having a MIL and maid helps.

My puzzle is lowercase. He has a lot of ABC ones and I think he loves the pegged ones the most. Although I must say he loves his number puzzles a hundred times more :p

curiositykills said...

ops, thats quite embarrassing. my blog is very shallow. hee. it serves as a place for me to rant and ramble. :)

oh, so u have quit. no wonder. i was thinking WOW! u could do all these despite having to work! even though u have MIL and maid, but still, the things that u prepare for your lil tiger is IMPRESSIVE! i would have died if i were to prepare those amidst work! lols

so now that u are a full-time mother ;) , are u planning to fully homeschool ds?

icic...im trying to hold back numerals exposure because I'd like to try subitizing. wonder if it will work for us :D we will see =)

Jessica_littletiger said...

When I first started this blog, I promised myself that I will not complain about my work. Otherwise, it will be more about me than Tiger! I did complain about my maid once, though :p

I am still working full-time, weekdays, nine to five. I have most of the weekends off. After years of being on-call for 36 hours straight at times, my life feels like luxurious despite working! The current work (locum) is mind numbing but like you said, the future prospect of this line is doomed anyways :p

Also, I finally have time to blog away :)

So, I guess I am still a part time mom :) Unless I plan to homeschool DS, which is something I am considering very carefully. Part of the reason I am still working is to save money for Tiger's future. However, investing in our country's education system sucks and will probably undo most of what I am teaching right now...sigh...tough call huh? I just finished a local publication by Chong WL: "Learning Beyond Schooling: Bringing Out Children’s True Potential” and it turned me into a worry wart overnight :)

I was teaching Tiger math with dots method all along and he picked up the numerals from the environment and songs..LOL. Now, he refuse to have anything to do with dots!

curiositykills said...

you are 'locum-ing' . i see. no wonder. i got confused for a second when u mentioned u have quit the hosp life whereas under the information part in this blog u are a working mother. :)

oh. I've read her book! lols. but I'm still not very convinced about the socializing part. how do HS-er mix with friends and do the many things that we once did in school.

i feel that christians have an added advantage in this because children can always mix around, at least once every week. this is just my personal view.

lols. "he refuse to have anything to do with dots!"

btw, would u prefer me to email or 'chat' here? :D
i hope I'm not annoying u with comments all over your blog! *grin*

Jessica_littletiger said...

Don't worry about annoying me. I have 4 younger siblings, so I pretty immune to most things..LOL.

Thanks for reading :)

JJ said...

Hi Jessica,
where to get this "Inserting rods into wooden numbered plates" ?

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi JJ,

I got it from USL. Here's the link:
http://shop.usleducation.com/index.php/mathematics/number-peg-board.html
It is pretty pricey, so call them to ask if they are having sales b4 purchase :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...